Akron East High Alumni Association, Inc.
Minutes: March 9, 2023
Attending: Larry Bond, Marsha Bond, Chuck Hayes, Sharon Kerechanin, Chuck Malivuk, Marcia Martz, Mike Oliver, Janet Stanley, John Stanley, Sally Thompson, Don Young
Absent: Rochelle Henderson, David Hoff, Mike Nickolich, Walt Noland
Guest: Michelle Anderson
President C. Malivuk called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
- C. Malivuk announced a change in the agenda in that D. Hoff would join the meeting remotely at
6:05 pm to give his Hall of Fame report.
Secretary’s Report (S. Thompson)
- M. Oliver moved and M. Bond seconded accepting the February minutes as written.
Treasurer’s Report (L. Bond)
- Financial Report
- Beginning February Balance $52,316.00
- Income: Reverse Raffle, Memberships, Scholarship Donation $ 9,111.77
- Expenses: Storage Unit, Reversal Raffle Expenses, ROTC, Softball
GoDaddy Expense $ 9,854.76
- Ending February Balance $51,573.01
- L. Bond reviewed the financial report by category.
- L. Bond reviewed the Initial Reverse Raffle 2023 Financial Report.
- M. Bond announced that Toni and Larry Norton had purchased and donated nine softball gloves.
Communications (M. Oliver)
- M. Oliver reported that M. Bond sent a letter of gratitude to Deb at Sunshine Cupcakes for the donate pastries for the Reverse Raffle.
- M. Oliver reported he posted the minutes of the last board meeting on the website as well as the need for donations of bowling balls and softball mitts. He will email the coaches to inquire if any other donations have been received outside of the Norton’s.
- M. Oliver will be posting the information for the Hall of Fame Inductions on the website.
- C. Malivuk suggested M. Oliver post the video on the website from the Reverse Raffle that was sent to Sunshine Cupcakes.
- M. Oliver reported that a letter had been sent to Raymond Lee’s brother regarding the post on the website of the scholarship being awarded via the University of Akron for the STEM project at ECLC Middle School.
Reverse Raffle (J. Stanley, L. Bond)
- C. Malivuk thanked all who assisted at the Reverse Raffle.
- A discussion was had as to what could be done to improve the 2024 Reverse Raffle. M. Bond proposed and S. Kerechanin volunteered to create a list of observations and members were asked to submit suggestions to S. Kerechanin as soon as possible. Ideas were given and documented.
- L. Bond will have finalized financial report at the next meeting.
Scholarship (M. Bond)
- M. Bond announced that she spoke at the ECLC Full Faculty Meeting explaining the scholarship procedure and that it was well received. A reminder email will be sent of the March 31 deadline.
- M. Bond reported that the Senior Recognition Assembly will be May 24 in the ECLC Auditorium. The Scholarships will be announced at that time. Recipients will not know of the scholarship being awarded until that time.
- M. Bond asked for volunteers to review and rate the scholarship applications. The scholarship committee will consist of the following members: M. Anderson, L. Bond, M. Bond, S. Kerechanin, C. Malivuk, J. Stanley and S. Thompson.
60+ Reunion (J. Stanley/M. Bond)
- M. Bond reported that the first committee meeting was held March 8 with 13 in attendance.
- M. Bond began the committee meeting honoring S. Hall and K. Stofsick for their endeavors on past 60+ reunions.
- M. Bond stated that the next meeting on April 12 will consist of stuffing envelopes for mailing.
- M. Bond announced that a few guests from the Class of 1964 will be invited to this reunion.
- M. Bond reported that the price of this year’s reunion will increase from $25 to $30.
- L. Bond stated the mailing company that had been used is no longer in business. This year’s reunion invitations will be mailed first class so that if the address is incorrect, it will be returned.
- The Reunion is scheduled at Guy’s on June 15, 2023.
Hall of Fame (D. Hoff)
- D. Hoff reported (remotely) by confirming the April 20, 2023 Hall of Fame Inductions will take place at the Venue on Tallmadge Circle.
- D. Hoff stated the cost of the luncheon will be $30 with payment by check, cash, or PayPal.
- D. Hoff announced the photographer he had chosen is not available so he will be contacting Carmen Studios for availability and cost.
- D. Hoff has not received a response from APS regarding the videography. It was suggested he try once more and if there is no response, no video will be done this year.
- D. Hoff will design the program and send it to L. Bond to be printed.
- D. Hoff announced that M. Howley informed him that the General of the Ohio National Guard is planning to attend. M. Howley is bringing an Ohio National Guard Flag. It was suggested that Top Mac be invited to attend the luncheon and to request a holder for the flag.
- D. Hoff will obtain the name plates and the flowers for the event.
- The deadline for registering for the event is April 13, 2023.
Memorabilia (M. Oliver, L. Bond)
- L. Bond announced 1950’s, 1960’s and some 1970’s yearbooks have been posted on the website.
- C. Malivuk called for any further business with none being raised.
With no further business, a motion was made by S. Kerechanin and seconded by J. Stanley to adjourn at 7:20 pm.
Respectfully submitted by,
Sally Thompson, Secretary