Please take a moment to read the following letter that was submitted by the Alumni Association to the Board of Education describing the Association’s activities over the past school year:
AKRON EAST HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
AKRON BOARD OF EDUCATION
70 North Broadway
Akron, OH 44308
July 12, 2017
Dear Board of Education Members –
As the communications representative for the Akron East High School Alumni Association, it is part of my responsibility to inform you of our endeavors over the course of the past school year. In order to secure the money necessary for these projects, we hold a Reverse Raffle in February each year as our major fund-raising event. This, along with our other methods of acquiring funds, has allowed us the opportunity to donate to the following:
· $12,500 was awarded to students in scholarships
· Girls’ softball team (for new uniforms)
· Boys’ basketball team
· DECA (sent students to national competition)
· Spring Musical
· Boy’s football team (uniforms)
In addition, the Association was responsible for:
· The induction of six new members into the Luther Smith East High Hall of Fame. A luncheon was held to honor these individuals, and an induction ceremony was conducted in front of an audience of 300 at the high school.
· Organizing an Alumni Homecoming Reunion for all East High School alumni during the homecoming game against Ellet High School held at the University of Akron football stadium. It was estimated that 300 alumni attended this event.
· Assisting in planning and executing the 60+ Luncheon which was attended by 330 alumni
We are proud to report that our Association was awarded the “Silver Acorn” from the PTA this past year.
Your support and commitment to the Akron Public Schools is appreciated, and we are happy to assist in achieving your goals for the students at East High School.
cc: Vyrone Finney, Principal East CLC, 80 Brittain Road, Akron, OH 44305
Respectfully submitted by Mike Oliver (1977 Akron East High School graduate and Communications Representative for the Akron East High School Alumni Association)